Saturday, May 5, 2012

Sweet Green Grass

Some of you are probably complaining about our wet rainy Spring, but I’m loving it and so is our grass.  I must say that we really do have one of the nicest lawns in the neighborhood, but there have been a few bare patches. 

5-5-12 048

Late March I started trying to grow grass.  First I tried just putting grass seed down and watering it.  Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way.  Then I bought some grass seed with pellets that soak up the water and also has a starter fertilizer.  That did a little better, but still not growing well.

Finally I think I figured out the recipe for growing grass.  I mixed 0.5 cu ft. of MiracleGro soil, 0.5 cu ft. regular topsoil, 0.5 cu ft. peat moss, the remaining grass seed with the pellets and another small bag of grass seed.  I spread it in all the bare spots and then covered them all with a thin layer of the remaining 0.5 cu ft. peat moss. 

5-5-12 049

I’ve really lucked out with the rain this past week and I’ve got sweet green grass growing!  Yeah!

5-5-12 053

No comments: