Monday, July 13, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife


The Banachi Bookies book club just finished The Time Traveler's Wife. Overall, the group seemed to like it, but I thought it was a tad boring. I wasn't very into it until the last 100 pages (540 total), then things started happening. It took me the whole 2 months to read it. Here is what it is about:

Henry De Tamble is a Chicago librarian with "Chrono Displacement" disorder; at random times, he suddenly disappears without warning and finds himself in the past or future, usually at a time or place of importance in his life. This leads to some wonderful paradoxes. From his point of view, he first met his wife, Clare, when he was 28 and she was 20. She ran up to him exclaiming that she'd known him all her life. He, however, had never seen her before. But when he reaches his 40s, already married to Clare, he suddenly finds himself time travelling to Clare's childhood and meeting her as a 6-year-old.


I am very excited about our next book, Loving Frank. I already started it and I am caught up in the affair of Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Borthwick Cheney. I think this one will be a fast read for me.

No comments: