Tuesday, July 5, 2011

BRAT diet

This 4th of July weekend was supposed to be fun in the sun at Jamie’s Aunt & Uncle’s house on the lake.  While we did make it up there, we were back home about 24 hours later after what I think was food poisoning. 

Talking with my old boss, who used to be in the food protection area of the USDA, I think it was a campylobacter infection.  It can fester for a few days before showing up. 

I spent most of the weekend laying on the couch or in the bathroom.  Mom told me to try the BRAT diet: bananas, rice, applesauce & toast/tea.  I followed this all day Monday and that night I was feeling better and I slept straight through the night. 

This morning I was feeling more like myself, but a little lighter, so before my shower I got on the scale.  I made it to my goal weight!  I was about 4-5 pounds away since April and just couldn’t get motivated enough to lose it.  While I wouldn’t say this was the best way to lose it, it was still nice to see that number on the scale. 

Of course now that my appetite is back I have a feeling the scale will not be my friend by the end of the week.  But maybe now that I’m down to my goal weight I will be motivated to keep it there.

I did manage to get outside on the 4th with Jake and his pool.  It was much hotter than I expected, but just having my feet in the pool really cooled me off.

July 4 2011

No comments: