Sunday, September 11, 2011

Homemade Salsa

The garden has produced lots of tomatoes so I decided to make some salsa.  The first salsa I made was using Tastefully Simple’s Simply Salsa… just add tomatoes.  Now, I love Tastefully Simple’s products but I was pretty disappointed in the salsa from this. 

So, I went to allrecipes.com and found D’s Famous Salsa which has 4 1/2 stars based on 654 reviews.  The recipe looked easy enough and so I gave it a go.  I won’t post the recipe here, just click above and it will take you there. 

003

The recipe calls for 2 (14.5oz) cans stewed tomatoes, but like I said I have a bunch of tomatoes.  So I first blanched and peeled the tomatoes which I read about on www.canningusa.com which has all sorts of canning tips and recipes.  I’ve never blanched before, but it was super easy and kind of slimy! 

006

I have a small food processor, so I had to make it in three batches.  For the last batch I added in a jalapeño from the garden (my only pepper this year).  I kept the seeds out thinking it would be too hot, but actually I really can’t tell the difference between the one with and the two without.

007

It tastes so fresh and light and just what I wanted my salsa to taste like.  All together the three batches is about 9 cups so I’m not sure if it would be worth actually canning.  If I do I’ll be sure to blog about it since I’ve never canned anything before.

1 comment:

Juli said...

ugghhhh just realized I forgot to email you mine....It looks much like the one you did! Our canning this year was our first also. We just placed the can and top(just part that will seal) in boiling water for about 4 min and then add the salsa which we boil and then simmer for 10 min. It took 1-5 min for them to finally seal but all of ours did!!