Thursday, November 17, 2011

Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods

My friend, Jen G., hosts a bake sale every year at St. John the Evangelist to support the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  Her sister was diagnosed with leukemia back in high school, but she fought it and now her and her husband run in marathons in support of the cause. 

I baked for them last year, but this year I didn’t have much time, so I decided to try making chocolate covered pretzel rods.  Here’s how it went:

First I bought all the ingredients I needed.

IMG00700-20111111-1442

I bought 5 bags of pretzel rods (approx. 20 usable/bag), 2 12oz bags of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, 2-12oz bags of dark chocolate chips, a bag of caramels (FYI, Pick ‘n Save has them on sale for $0.75/bag!), 1 bag chopped pecans, 1 bag of Oreo cookies, 1 large bag of white chocolate melts and 50 clear treat bags.

The first pretzel rods I made were Turtle.  I first dipped them in melted caramel, then semi-sweet chocolate and sprinkled pecans on them.  Then into the freezer until the chocolate solidified.

IMG00710-20111112-0028

 

The second ones I made were Triple Chocolate.  These were dipped in semi-sweet chocolate, put in the freezer, dipped in dark chocolate, put in the freezer and then white chocolate was piped on.

IMG00711-20111112-0029

 

The last ones were Cookies & Cream.  These were dipped in white chocolate and then crushed Oreo cookies were sprinkled on.  They were then put in the freezer to set up.

IMG00712-20111112-0029

 

Once they were all made I put one of each in the clear treat bags.  There were enough for 33 bags.

IMG00713-20111112-0031

I displayed them in two baskets with a sign.  I decided to try and lure buyers by saying they were gourmet.  The hardest part is deciding how much to sell them for.

IMG00714-20111112-0118

 

I dropped them off the morning of the sale and their table was packed!  They get the Breadsmith to donate any unsold baked goods the night before the sale. 

bake sale

 

Jen G. let me know that my pretzel rods were gone by 1pm and in total they raised $1,000 from the sale!  I’m so glad I was able to help them out with their sale.  The pretzel rods did take longer than I expected, but now I know if I decide to make them again.

No comments: