Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sugar Cookie Cutouts

I blogged a bit about this last year, but I’d like to show you a new trick I have for making sugar cookie cutouts.  The hardest thing to do when making cutouts is to keep the thickness of the dough the same from batch to batch.  They make these rubber spacers that slip onto rolling pins, but I don’t have them yet (hint, hint).

 

So instead I used 2 clothes hangers to roll the rolling pin on.  The white plastic hangers are a little too big and the wire ones are a little too small, but these in-between ones are perfect!

Picture1

 

FYI, you can see my new yellow rolling pin in the picture above… it’s the Wilton one, kinda pricy, but sooooo worth it! 

 

My other tips are from my first post, but I thought I would remind you all here.  After cutting your cookies out place them in the freezer for at least 15 minutes.

IMG00748-20111127-1216

 

Freezing them helps them keep their shape after baking.  Can you see those how pointy those stars are?!?!  This also allows you to keep them close together without them melting into each other.

IMG00754-20111127-1304

 

I also make sure not to over-bake them.  Once the outside ones start to brown on the edges they are done.  You can also see from my pictures that I freeze and bake on parchment paper.  This helps keep the bottoms from burning and also makes clean-up a breeze.

 

To cool, I use these stackable cooling racks.  My brother bought me two sets (3/set) and at first I didn’t think I would need 2 sets, but I use them all the time.

IMG00756-20111127-1309

 

I also use really big cookie sheets.  These are about the width of the inside of my oven.  I prefer to only bake one sheet at a time, otherwise you have to rotate the pans halfway through and I always forget to do that. 

 

And lastly, here’s the sugar cookie recipe I use.  They are all about the same though, so no surprises or secret ingredients.

Sugar Cookie Recipe

Recipe from www.AnnClark.com

Cream together:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar

Beat in:
1 egg

Add:
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups sifted flour

Mix until all ingredients are well blended. Chill dough 3-4 hours before rolling.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out on a lightly floured counter to 1/4" thick and cut with your favorite Ann Clark cookie cutters, then transfer cookies onto cookie sheets that have been lined with parchment paper or silicone liners. Bake about 8-10 minutes or until lightly colored. Let cookies cool slightly on cookie sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!

No comments: